California Birth Injury Attorney
San Diego Labor and Delivery Malpractice Lawyer
California Birth Complications
Money can never fully compensate a family for the hurt they suffer following an injury to their newborn child. Adding to this pain is the fact that a birth injury will threaten the health, development, and growth of a child for the rest of his or her life.
Negligence associated with prenatal care, childbirth, and post-childbirth care are all forms of medical malpractice. At the Law Offices of Scott S. Harris, APLC, I assist children and their parents with their birth injury claims against medical professionals, including those against California’s largest health care provider, Kaiser Permanente.
To speak to an experienced attorney about your case, contact my office to schedule a free initial consultation.
When a Medical Mistake Causes a Birth Injury
Physicians (particularly obstetricians) receive years of training teaching them how to avoid inflicting serious birth injuries. As such, families place the safety of their children in the hands of these trusted doctors. When this trust is betrayed and a birth injury results, families deserve to be compensated.
Common Birth Injuries
My firm represents families affected by the following birth injuries:
- Erb's Palsy — Paralysis of the upper arm caused by a tear of the brachial plexus during childbirth.
- Cerebral Palsy — A form of paralysis caused during childbirth or pregnancy that affects a person's motor skills throughout their life.
- Shoulder dystocia — A condition where a child's shoulder becomes stuck during childbirth, leading to conditions like Erb's Palsy.
- Brain damage — Brain damage, including mental retardation, epilepsy, and Autism, may result from a birth injury.
- Brain injury — A brain injury may be caused by lack of oxygen to the brain (hypoxia injury), or other traumatic injuries during pregnancy or childbirth.
- Spinal cord injury -- A spinal cord injury during childbirth or pregnancy may affect the child's spinal growth and development.
Medical Negligence During Pregnancy
A birth injury can also occur because of a doctor’s negligence during pregnancy and childbirth. For example, delaying a C-section, inaccurately monitoring a child's heart rate, or overlooking a lack of oxygen to a child's brain, can all lead to serious birth injuries.
Contact a San Diego Birth Injury Lawyer
To learn about recovering compensation following a birth-related injury, contact me to schedule a free initial consultation. I represent people throughout Southern California, including clients in Laguna Beach and Little Italy. All cases are taken on a contingency fee basis, so you do not pay me any fees unless I am able to secure for you the necessary compensation. Please call 619-573-6034, or toll free 866-934-2432.